Recite is a unique assistive technology that enables most parts of simplygo.com to be read out aloud with the click of a button from any computer. The following guide shows you how to use the basic features of Recite.
When you first click on "Speak Me" logo, a frame will appear at the top of the web page. If this is the first time you have used Recite, there will be a pop-up that is read out aloud that says 'Hover your curser over any text on the page to have it read aloud'.
Text to Speech
Now all you have to do is hover your cursor pointer over any text and Recite will read the text back to you. You will see that the text is being read is highlighted with a light blue colour and a small box (as shown) will pop up allowing you to pause, go back to the start or stop the reading.
Text Only Views and Adjustment
- If you prefer to view simplygo.com in a text only version, then click on 'Toggle Plain Text' . This removes images from the page and leaves you with plain text. You can then adjust this using the interface on the right hand side. Click on the plus sign to see the best options that suits you.
- In the colours section, pick what you want to adjust from the drop down menu; options include Ruler, Text Colour, Background or Links. You can then select from the colour palette or click on advanced to see a bigger spectrum to choose from. You can cancel any selections by clicking the square with the red line through.
- To collapse the menus, just click on the minus button for options not to be shown.
- You can choose your own font from the drop down menu and change the sizes using the plus and minus buttons.
- You may find reading text easier, if the column width is shorter. If this is so, then you can make changes using the toggle buttons.
- There are over 50 languages that you can translate text into. Once you have selected your language, hover over the text on the page you want translated and a pop up box will show up with two buttons to 'Translate' and 'Reset'.
- At the bottom of this section, there is a 'Save' facility. So, once you have customised the best view for yourself hit save and your settings will be saved for each time you visit simplygo.com.
- If you want to revert to the original view of simplygo.com, click on the 'Toggle Plain Text' link.
Unfortunately, due to the way timetables are designed and coded, this facility is not available to read out timetables at present.
If you have any queries, or comments about this facility, please get in touch with Go North East Customer Services.